Making Health and Wellness Goals that Last Long After the New Year
With guest blogger, Sabrina Virdee
With the holiday season done and the new year in full swing, moving along faster than ever, there is no time like the present to set your health and wellness goals for the new year. You may be trying to get back into a routine, improve your nutrition, move your body more, or all of the above. But we know how easy it can be to keep putting these things off, to tell yourself, “I’ll start next week.” But take my advice, that will only make things harder. And it only puts you further behind in getting to a place where you love how you feel.
It only fills you with excuses to not succeed today, tomorrow, and the day after that.
Instead of putting your wellness goals off to “when you are more ready,” why not start creating healthy habits NOW and put in place a program that will help you stay healthy and on-track month after month, not just for the New Year!
Here are 10 tips to help you succeed at making your New Years wellness goals habits that you can carry with you throughout the year:
1. PLAN. Because saying you want to stay on track isn’t enough.
2. STRIKE A BALANCE. Find your balance between eating nutritious foods, working out, AND indulging.
3. MEAL PREP. Keep it simple. When we are unprepared and hungry, we are way more likely to make bad decisions and be tempted by unhealthy treats. Don’t give yourself room to fall off. Be prepared.
4. SNACK SMART. Choose protein rich snacks. My go too is a smoothie with a scoop of Kaizen Naturals® protein.
5. LEARN HOW TO SAY NO. It is ok to say, “No” and you can find a balance between indulging in the foods you enjoy and still working toward your goals.
6. DON’T DEPRIVE YOURSELF. Depriving yourself of every food you enjoy, or constantly forcing yourself to workout when you don’t have the energy won’t lead to faster results. It may lead to results initially, but it doesn’t guarantee that you will be able to maintain the true lifestyle changes that create results that last. Consistency is key.
7. QUICK WORKOUTS. In terms of a healthy lifestyle and developing healthy habits around the holidays, everything needs to be simple. Simple keeps us on track. And simple, when it comes to workouts, means quick, home workouts that require no equipment and not much time. Remember, something is better than nothing! And often when you start out just doing “something,” you’ll end up getting in a killer workout.
8. SET SMALL GOALS. Small changes add up to big results so use your daily goals as a way to help instill healthy habits.
9. DRINK ENOUGH WATER. The benefits of drinking water are endless. So, ensure you are getting enough each day and trust me, you’ll notice the difference.
10. PRIORITZE SLEEP. Sleep will always be one of the biggest factors to attaining your goals. "I hate how a good nights rest makes me feel” - Said no one EVER!
You don’t need to strive for perfection. You just need to be CONSISTENT. You can find a balance. balance leads to consistency. And consistency leads to accomplishing healthy and sustainable lifestyle habits.